Contractors have the opportunity to claim the purchase of a new device, if it’s primary purpose is to enable them to undertake their duties within their current contract.
As these devices are FBT Exempt Items, as an employer related tax, Oncore will use their discretion, in accordance with FBT legislation, in determining the eligibility and reasonableness of your claim.
Oncore provides the opportunity for you to salary package your business-related expenses. This is not a direct reimbursement of the expense but an offset against your taxable income resulting in greater take-home pay for you. The expenses that you can claim include your mobile phone, internet connection, software purchases, study, self-education, etc.
These are expenses that relate to your current contract that Oncore is managing.
Relevant Expenses include:
- Briefcase or Laptop Bag
- Mobile Phone
The following are some of the criteria that need to be met. It is recommended that you review these criteria before purchasing a new device that you may wish to claim.
- The item must be primarily for use in your employment
- A practical explanation outlining the anticipated business use of the item is required (briefcase excluded)
- A tax invoice is required to verify the claimed amount
- Where items have a substantially identical function, only one item is claimable per FBT year (1 April – 31 March) unless the item is a replacement item.
- Oncore maintains a policy that is both in accordance with ATO guidelines and reasonable and as such our expense team will review and assess the reasonableness of:
- the timing of your purchase in relation to your contract - we can only accept items purchased at least more than 2 months from the date of your contract ending
- the expenditure of the item/s claimed
If, after reading this article, you are still unsure what types of expenses you may be able to claim under this category, please either send us an email at email@example.com, or phone us on 1300 654 484 and we will strive to answer any of your questions.